How to Purchase eLuma Solutions
Learn how to use the CARES Act, ESSER, IDEA, and Title 1 Funds
Utilizing Federal Funding Sources for
eLuma Services & Software
eLuma Online Therapy is committed to helping all children and adolescents achieve their full potential, and we want to make sure that all districts are able to purchase solutions that support this important work. Here you will find resources that elaborate on the federal funding sources most commonly used to fund the purchase of eLuma solutions. In each section you will find ways eLuma services support each program. We’ve also provided language that you may find helpful as you develop your funding justifications.
CARES Act & ESSER Funds
In March 2020, Congress passed the CARES Act, providing states and districts with $13.4 billion in additional funds for K-12 education. This fund, known as the Elementary and Secondary School Emergency Relief Fund (ESSER I ), provides districts additional funding to support distance learning and ensure high-needs students, such as those with special education and mental health needs, are protected.
Following the CARES Act, Congress passed the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act in December 2020 and the American Rescue Plan in March 2021. These packages included $80 billion and approximately $123 billion (respectively) in additional ESSER funds. Allowable categories remain the same as the CARES Act, but include include notable additions:
- Purchasing educational technology (including hardware, software, and connectivity) for students who are served by the local educational agency that aids in regular and substantive educational interaction between students and their classroom instructors, including low-income students and children with disabilities;
- Addressing learning loss among students, including low-income students, children with disabilities, English learners, racial and ethnic minorities, students experiencing homelessness, and children and youth in foster care, of the local educational agency.
Note: the American Rescue Plan requires that LEAs use at least 20% of their ESSER III funds to address learning loss; and providing mental health services and supports.
All eLuma solutions can be purchased with your ESSER I, II, and III funds.
The Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) provides federal funding to assist LEAs in providing special education and related services to children with disabilities, in order to ensure that children with disabilities have access to a free appropriate public education (FAPE).
Here are the specific ways eLuma supports IDEA activities:
- Providing related services providers (speech therapists, psychologists, physical therapists, occupational therapists, etc.);
- Equipment to support special education and related services;
- Personnel, supplies, and contracted services related to evaluations;
- Professional development; and
- Materials and supplies (including software).
eLuma special education and related services as well as software can be purchased with IDEA funds.
The purpose of Title I is to provide financial assistance to local educational agencies (LEAs) and schools with high numbers or high percentages of children from low-income families to help ensure that all children meet challenging state academic standards.
Here are the specific ways eLuma supports Title I activities:
- Meeting the educational needs of specific groups of students;
- Closing the achievement gap between low and high performing children;
- Distributing and targeting resources sufficiently to make a difference to local educational agencies and schools where needs are greatest; and coordinating services under all parts of this title with each other, with other educational services, and, to the extent feasible, with other agencies providing services to youth, children, and families.
eLuma Mental Health solutions can be purchased with Title I funds.